Wednesday 28 March 2012

Happy Cake Pop Days

If you have any children or you are a media student the chances are you have seen the animated film Despicable me? The main character 'Gru' is a villain, but he's pretty rubbish at it. A track by Pharrell titled 'Despicable Me' from film was probably my theme tune yesterday.

Anyone that makes cakes, cupcakes and of course cake pops will be familiar with sugar pearls.  If you have never seen them they are precisely that, a pearl made of sugar.  I've dropped maybe one or two on the floor countless times in the past.  However the other day, I dropped a whole tub full... onto a laminate floor.  It seemed to take about ten minutes for the 'plink plink' sound to stop.  I'll still be finding those at christmas.
Yesterday was worse.  Yesterday, despite being very happy with my work on my 1950's beehive ladies for a customer organising a hen night, I managed to be a complete klutz.  I spilt one tub of red luster powder into the white... had to start that again. I may have uttered a naughty word.
Then I didn't realise I had the red powder on my hands and went to open a white cupboard door and of course covered the door in red powder... had to wipe that off before it stained.  I may have spoken a naughty word.
For the finale a full mug of melted chocolate literally leapt off the counter and threw itself, not only all over me but spilt itself all down the entire set of white drawers and handles.  I admit, I may have slightly shouted a number of rather strong naughty words.
Grrrrr  these things are sent to try us so 'they' say.  I say they're sent to really pee us off!!!
Despite yesterdays minor incidents these were completely un-affected.
Some of the 1950s Ladies Cake Pops with Beehives for 'Hairspray' movie

 Good job last week was more productive and less accident prone.  I had a lovely surprise when I discovered I was on the front page of the local paper 'The Barnsley Chronicle' I had been interviewed by the papers' bridal magazine 'Mosiac' features editor about my wedding favours to be featured in May in the summer edition.  She sent me an email asking if I would like to be featured in the papers' business page too and they would send a photographer the next day.  Delighted I agreed a time.  On friday she emailed me to say had I seen the paper? if not, did I know I was on the front page.  I'm really thrilled to be in print and I can't wait to see the magazine in May.  Lets hope the 'klutz' in me keeps out of the way.


Its on with Easter Cake pops now, which you can see on the website.  I have all sorts of work coming up including being involved in a really romantic story that I wish I could share.  Hopefully after the event the customer will allow me to reveal all.  I'm looking forward to meeting all the people on my cake pop workshop on April 28th.  I'll be covering lots of Dos' and Donts' when cake popping.  I don't think I'll need to say 'don't throw melted chocolate all over yourself, its probably a given!?

No comments:

Post a Comment